I don`t know how the weather is where you are right now, but here in Switzerland it`s raining.. A LOT. Right now i`m sitting in front of my computer, writing this recipe and enjoying a nice cup of tea. The only thing that always makes eveything so much better, is a warm and comforting piece of cake. This Walnut and Honey Cake is just perfect for days like this. And the best part is, it`s soooo easy to make!
Enjoy it warm and drizzle even a teensy bit more Honey over your piece of cake, if you like it a bit sweeter.
Walnut and Honey Cake
Makes about 8 to 10 slices
- 190 g butter, room temperature
- 190 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 190 g flour
- 1 tsp backing powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 25 g plain yogurt
- 1 packet vanilla sugar
- 2 tablespoons liquid Honey
- 60 g Walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 320°F (160°C). Butter a rectangular cake pan (20 cm long).
- Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in the eggs gradually, a coule at a time. Beat well between additions and scrape down sides of bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix the Yogurt, Vanilla sugar and Honey together.
- Alternating flour mixture and yogurt mixture beat the dry and wet ingredients into the butter mixture. Bear on medium speed for about one minute to eliminate any lumps.
- Fold in Walnuts with a spoon or spatula.
- Fill the batter in the prepared cake pan and sprinkle a few walnuts on top.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes on the middle rack, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In the meantime heat 1 tablespoon Honey with 50 ml water in a smoll pot, and simmer until about half of the liquid is reduced.
- Remove cake from the oven and drizzle immediately with warm sirup. Let it cool for a few minutes, than remove from pan onto a wire rack.
- Let cool completely or enjoy it still warm.
Walnut and Honey Cake adapted from "Süsse Sünden - the hummingbird bakery"