I love baking cakes. It takes a bit more time and effort than the usual dessert but it`s definitely worth it!
Lemon and blueberries. They go sooo good together and they are both so refreshing! The blueberry jam gives a light sweetness to the cake and the lemon gives a nice lovely lemon flavor.
I decorated the cake with two lemon slices and "krokant" (the crunchy thingies on top of the cake), but you could also use blueberries, sprinkles or whatever you like. :)
Lemon Blueberry Marble Cake
- 1 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 jar blueberry jam
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 g) butter, room temperature
- 1 TL vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C) and grease two seven inch (20 cm) cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice until fluffy. Add in the egg whites gradually, a couple at a time. Beat well between additions and scrape down sides of bowl.
- Mix together in another bowl the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Alternating flour mixture and milk, beat the dry ingredients and milk into the butter mixture. Bear on medium speed for one minute to eliminate any lumps.
- Set aside 1 cup of batter in a small bowl.
- Devide the remaining batter between the two cake pans, smooth out the top with a spartula or back of a spoon.
- Add 2 1/2 Tbsp jam to the reserved batter and mix well. Drizzle with a teaspoon over the batter in pans. Use a wooden skewer to swirl the blueberry mixture into the lemon batter without mixing it in.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpicj comes ou clean. Let cool for 10-15 minutes and remove from pan onto wire rack. Cool completely.
- In a medium bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, powdered sugar and milk and beat until smooth.
Assembling the cake
- To assemble the cake, place one layer on cake stand and spread with the blueberry jam. Place second layer on top and frost the cake on top and sides with buttercream, Garnish with lemon slices, blueberries or whatever you like.
Lemon Blueberry Marble Cake adapted from yourhomebasedmom.com