I made these Cupcakes for a 4th of July Party. Red velvet Cupcakes with a dreamy-creamy cream cheese frosting and red and blue sprinkles on top. PERFECT.
I love Cupcake Toppers. But you can`t buy them here so i made them myself. They are so easy and fun to make. You can download the free printables with the Instructions here.
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes. Store cupcakes in the refrigerator. Serve chilled.
- 1 1/4 cups (125 g) flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon regular or Dutchprocessed cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (60 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cups (150 g) granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
- 1 tablespoon liquid red food coloring
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces (230 g) cream cheese, room temperature
- about 4 tablespoons (50 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (60 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) cold heavy whipping cream
- sprinkles for decoration, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180° C) and line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In a measuring cup whisk the milk with the red food coloring.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk to the butter mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups and smooth the tops with an offset spartula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes the remove from pan. Let cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a medium bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, whip the heavy whipping cream until stiff.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until the frosting is thick enough to pipe. Add more sugar or cream as needed to get the right consistency.
- Either spread the frosting with a knife or offset spatula, or use a large 1M Wilton open star decorating tip to pipe the frosting.
- Add sprinkles if desired.
Red Velvet Cupcake recipe adapted from joyofbaking.com